There is so much more to this dazzling part of the Caribbean than picture perfect beaches fringed with iridescent sandy shores. Enjoy balmy, sun soaked days and tropical nights while dancing to merengue music and enjoying Dominican Republic food. Immerse yourself in the community; watch a game of dominoes being played on aluminium tables in the shade of a bar painted sky blue, smell the pungent aroma of locally made cigars and enjoy the honey sweet coffee that the Dominican Republic is famous for.
With this project you can bring hope and happiness to the young members of the community of Las Terrenas, in the peninsula of Samana, by supporting their development and improving their lives. The township of Samana is extremely peaceful and people enjoy a largely laid back lifestyle. The social and political environment is safe and authorities are very helpful and welcome the presence of foreign volunteers. Despite the resilience and ingenuity of Dominican Republicans, many people still face significant challenges as the population grows and society diversifies. About one in five Dominicans lives in poverty and almost one in ten in extreme poverty. It is essential that the situation is recognised and tackled. Lack of basic services such as education, infrastructure and healthcare, along with limited job prospects are common difficulties managed by the people of the Dominican Republic.
Through a programme of Community Development you will inspire young minds and watch their confidence grow. All while you get fully integrated into the local community and fall forever in love with the people, landscapes, beaches and culture that this magical destination has to offer.
• Make a difference to the lives of disadvantaged women & children
• Stay in this dazzling part of the Caribbean
• Gain a lifetime of wonderful friends and incredible memories
Location Las Terrenas, Peninsula of Samana, Dominican Republic
• Raise awareness on topics related to personal development, leadership and life skills
• Building community support for youth development and Women’s empowerment
• Extracurricular activities including team work, service activities and promotion of constructive use of free time
Transport Airport pickup and transfer to the project site can be booked at an additional cost of 30 $ from of Santo Domingo-Las Américas airport, or 50 $ from Samaná - El Catey Airport.10 minute walk from accommodation to work placement
Accommodation Studio apartment
Before you go
• Pre-departure support
• Travel advice & documentation
• Kit advice
• Discounted medical kit
• Free Frontier T-shirt (UK Only)
• Airport pick up
• Local orientation & comprehensive project training
• 24 hour in-country support
• International HQ emergency support & back-up
A variety of qualifications are available on many of our projects. For example, BTEC certificates and diplomas on our Group conservation projects and TEFL certificates and BTECs on most of our teaching projects. You may also be able to gain a CoPE to support your university application. For more information on these qualifications, please see the qualifications section of our website or ask your volunteer advisor.