People you Meet in Caye Caulker

29 Jan 2020 11:25 AM

Caye Caulker is the first place I’ve travelled to as a volunteer and I didn’t know what to expect when I got out here. How were the people going to be around me? What was life going to be like on a day to day basis? Well, I’m very happy to report that within three weeks of me being here I have found that I have always been smiled at and talked to by quite a few of the locals. Everyone I have met has always been very kind. The first place I spent any time on the South Island of Caye Caulker was the Sports bar.

All the folk I’ve met in there are engaging and ask questions about what you are doing and where you are from. When you mention that you are working with Frontier, they want to know about all the things that we are doing for the environment and marine conservation and are also interested in the project and the goals behind it. The staff at the bar are really welcoming, they always ask how you’re doing and offer great service and the iced tea is lovely!  On Saturdays we do social science which involves going around and asking tourists a couple of questions and talking to them about Frontier and what we do.

I find it really promising because they generally do lots of things that support the environment already like reef friendly sun cream and other things that are all important for the conservation of the marine life. The Island’s visitors that we meet are always really friendly and you can have a few drinks with them whilst chatting.

The feedback and genuine interest I get from the tourists about the Frontier project and the environment is really encouraging and motivates me to want to do more for the world and work even harder with Frontier. To learn more about everything to do with marine life and conservation so that I can help to educate and inform people on the studies we are doing and the importance of continuing them. I would be delighted if I could motivate one person to do something like me with Frontier, but I’m equally happy to help people make little changes in their everyday lives that have a positive impact on the planet as a whole.

By Jack Rees - Frontier Belize Volunteer

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservationcommunityteaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!