Climbing a Volcano on New Year's Eve!

29 Jan 2020 16:35 PM

Wow, what a week it has been with Frontier Tenerife. This has been my first volunteering experience and I guarantee it won’t be my last! The staff have been incredible, as have the other volunteers.

The highlight of the week has got to be the climbing of Mount Teide on new year’s eve, watching the sunrise from the top on New Year’s Day was a momentous moment! We organised this as volunteers from start to finish, I think this was a great team building exercise which brought us all together as a group!

Then the climbing of the volcano, wow, 10km long rising to 3.6km in altitude. Doing this in the dead of night with no light other than the torches on our head and then to top it off temperatures dropping to as little as -3⁰c, made this much harder than any of us expected! But through persistence, determination and working together we made it to the top so see the sun rise.

This in itself was worth every bit of energy used to get there! The sun coming up in the distance over the ocean, stars in the sky, the only sound you could hear was your own heavy breathing and beating heart! I would advise everyone that visit's Tenerife to take on the challenge as it is so rewarding!

This is just one of the many experiences we have done as a group on the island, others include, kayaking, snorkelling, observing the Cetaceans and beach cleans finding 'hippy communities'. All of which have made memories that will never be forgotten! I can't thank Frontier Tenerife and the staff here for accommodating us enough! I will 100% be volunteering with Frontier again!

Join the Frontier Family and APPLY NOW!

By Dale Purvis - Frontier Tenerife Volunteer

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservationcommunityteaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!