Friends that save the planet together, stay together

23 Dec 2019 10:00 AM

I’ve got one week left doing marine conservation in Nosy Be, Madagascar. Throughout my time here I have achieved my advanced open water, been able to learn territorial and schooling fish, and even start to be able to take part in surveys.

At first I never thought I would be able to learn all the fish as territorial and schooling species come to over 150 to learn, however being on camp with helpful marine staff and fish identification cards, I managed to learn them a lot quicker than expected. I learnt schooling fish first, taking part in study afternoons, online tests and then the underwater test. Once all of these were completed, I was able to start surveying schooling fish on nearly all my dives. Surveying on dives I feel makes a diving experience even more special as you know what you are doing is making a difference.

After this I started to study the territorial fish and after a while completed my online and underwater tests! Meaning I can now take part in both surveys. Which is what I have been aspiring to achieve. It’s amazing to see how far I have come from coming out here and not knowing any fish species at all to then learning over 150 species of fish and surveying on dives.

On most dives now I recognise almost every fish I see, and this makes me even more motivated to want to be able to try an protect these fish and their surroundings. Conservation and being apart of a project that is challenging but also rewarding is incredible, and I couldn’t stress enough how important the work is. So, if anyone is looking to make a difference, Frontier Madagascar is definitely a great option. You could even travel with a friend! Friends who protect the planet together, stay together!

Out of everything, I am very fortunate enough to see the Map Pufferfish whilst on my dives. The Pufferfish have incredible detail. I would examine the lines on their bodies and would be surprised to how big their bodies could expand to. They are unlike another fish I have seen and love the fact that I can include them in my territorial fish surveys if I spot one whilst diving.

Being able to take part in Marine Conservation here for 7 weeks, with only one-week left has been one of the best experiences I have had. Although I’m sad to be leaving, I feel I’ve got so much to take home with me and hopefully something similar in the future.

APPLY NOW and ignite your conservation adventure!

By Chloe - Frontier Madagascar Volunteer

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservationcommunityteaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!