Project Development Intern: Emily Woolnough

17 Nov 2019 11:20 AM

Emily Woolnough, 25, has a wide range of interests and studied Philosophy and Film at the University of East Anglia. Growing up with a strong fascination with the environment, Emily’s path led her to us at Frontier. Now, working as Project Development Intern, we decided to ask her a few questions about how she’s getting on…

What is your background?

Jobwise, I got my first job at 15 in a florists’ and have had always had jobs through my education since. The best one was probably working in a cinema because free films are always fun! I’ve been interested in a career in the environment and working with wildlife my whole life; going out as a child and counting butterflies and seeing if it was more or less than the last year, or clearing the roadside of rubbish and even making my school adopt meat-free Monday (clearly, I was a very cool child). I’ve volunteered in the UK as well - spending time in the New Forest to survey the smooth snake, monitoring the erosion along the Welsh coastline, and looking at how development affects the birds and fish of the Norfolk broads.

Why did you choose Frontier?

Out of all the similar companies, I liked that the Frontier projects are run all year round and are not just being sold as a gap-year opportunity but a research opportunity, and their work such as the establishment of the Tanzania Marine Park was a big draw. 

What are your duties?

I help to ensure that our volunteers have given us all the information we need to send them away for a safe and positive volunteering experience, and for keeping them up to date with news and deadlines. I also research and contact new possible partner organisations we could work with in the future on new projects.

What interests you within the conservation field?

Everything! It’s just so vital so conserve the natural world that everything in the field contributes to a more positive future. More specifically I’m interested in marine conservation; the oceans are endlessly fascinating and are crucial to the general well-being of the planet as they connect each eco-system and continent to each other.

What does the future hold?

Running away to the Outer Hebrides to become a simple goat farmer? That sounds good. But I have a place to do a Masters in Marine Conservation and Ecology at Exeter for the coming September, so I’ll be doing that next and hopefully securing a job in the industry. But if that fails, then definitely the Hebrides.

Who would you recommend this internship to?

People interested in pursuing a career in conservation, as it is such a competitive industry that having some industry experience will be a great CV boost!