Of Mates & Mountains

4 Nov 2019 17:15 PM

My name is Katie and I have been on this project for 7 weeks already and have 3 more weeks to go - not long now!

In the weeks that I have been here, one of the memories that I will remember for a long time is completing Teide by night with my friends. Mount Teide is one of the highest active volcanoes in Europe standing at 3,718m above sea level! Although I love hiking, this was a very challenging climb, and the subsequent descent and forced me outside of my comfort zone - something that I always aim to do when I visit a new location.

One of the most memorable moments of the trip was the actual journey to Teide; the ride through the various microclimates allowed us to witness firsthand the range of diversity that Tenerife has to offer. The difference in perspectives is such a distinct and individual experience in comparison to the tourist areas such as Los Cristianos or Las Galletas, which we visit almost daily. I remember watching an incredible rainbow that stretched over Teide, from the north side to the south side of the island. It left the shadow of Teide blazing in the background as the sun began to set.

I was lucky to climb up Teide with such amazing friends, all of which I hope to be in touch with for many years to come. Each of us had our own struggles during our time in Tenerife, but with our collective reassurance that everything was going to be okay, (and a bit of music!), we were able to power through the hours, even finishing ahead of schedule!

By Katie Day - Frontier Tenerife Volunteer 

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservationcommunityteaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!