Frontier - It Feels Like Family!

15 Oct 2019 13:20 PM

Although I haven’t been here long, I’m already starting to feel at home in the Frontier house. The staff has been so lovely, and I’m loving getting to meet so many different volunteers from different countries. The boat trips are incredible and seeing cetaceans in the wild really is such a special experience that I don’t think I’ll ever get used to.

Yesterday, I went kayaking with 2 of the volunteers. We were so lucky to be able to see a pod of bottlenose dolphins, and even saw a couple of breaches so close to the kayak!

As well as just seeing cetaceans, collecting data from the tourist boats during the week has been such a great experience for me. On Tuesday, I was able to train some new volunteers on how to collect the data which definitely gave me more confidence considering I had only been on one boat before!

Being involved in the survey aspect of the project has really motivated me to pursue a career in scientific research after I graduate from university. I have had an incredible 2 weeks (and even got to try pole dancing!) and I can’t wait for the rest of my time here.

By Eleanor Haines - Assistant Research Officer with Frontier Tenerife

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservationcommunityteaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!