The Majesty of Marine Life

9 Oct 2019 11:45 AM

This week was a nice change of pace for my second last week on the project in respect to recent months, beginning with a small training group of just 3 new volunteers arriving.

We experienced a lovely encounter aboard the Eden Catamaran around 2 kilometres from the coast, with a large group of at least 12 or more Short-finned Pilot Whales, many of which appeared to be juveniles. This group was likely a pod of young families, with at least 2 calves to be confirmed spotted. We were also lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a pod of 5 or so dolphins enjoying a lunch time fish feeding frenzy in the beautiful blue waters closer to the shore, just a kilometre from the port.

Now as my time on this magnificent island comes to an end, I will always have such beautiful and magical memories of the special moments spent in the presence of the amazing marine animals. There is absolutely something majestic about them, for me particularly the Pilot Whales, such gentle giants of the ocean who appear to be so full of ancient wisdom. I have learned that there is a whole other world beneath the surface of the oceans that humans may not necessarily have the capacity to truly understand, certainly not to its fullest extent.

As for the rest of this Island, it is a place filled with hidden treasures of Mother Nature, and the cetaceans are just one. The mountains, forests, hidden beaches, natural pools, caves and more, are like nothing I’ve ever seen anywhere else in the world, and I feel so privileged to have lived for a time amongst its beauty.

By Jazmin - Assistant Research Officer with Frontier Tenerife

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservationcommunityteaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!