Turtle Conservation in Kefalonia

18 Jul 2019 11:55 AM

Greece provides a blend of a hot Mediterranean climate, fascinating ancient culture, and seas teeming with marine life. The Kefalonia Turtle Conservation Project offers the chance to immerse yourself in this fabulous culture whilst living close to the beautiful sandy beaches and helping to protect one of Greece’s most charismatic sea creatures, the loggerhead sea turtle. Will Lynes reflects on his experience on the project:

"My placement was located next to the airport with around 40 amazing people with the company Wildlife Sense. The accommodation had everything you could need for a comfortable stay, including an outdoor kitchen area and a volleyball net in the garden! It was also very close to Minies beach and a pool bar where the owner has a friendly arrangement with the volunteers.

The main shifts were morning beach surveys where we would cycle at 5:30am to either Lassi, Avithos or the airport beaches to look for turtle tracks and nests. The other main shift was at the harbour in Argostoli which included surveying the turtles and recording their interactions. Some other shifts included net check, light pollution and sand sifting.

I had the best time on my placement and wish I was still there; I plan on going again sometime in the future".

Will Lynes - Kefalonia Conservation Assistant

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservationcommunityteaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!