Photo Credits: Pixabay | Pexels
Modified with premission by Frontier
India, home to 1.3 billion people, 29 states and 22 regional languages, is arguably one of the most popular travel destinations on earth. The country is known for its hustle and bustle capital New Delhi, its vibrant culture and picturesque scenery. We’ve compiled our top 5 facts about India:
1. If you love mangoes, you’ve got India to thank – The country is the world’s biggest producer and consumer of mangoes, accounting for more than 40% of the world’s supply. In fact, Indians love mangoes so much they made it their national fruit.
Photo Credits: Flickr | Janak Chandarana
2. India has the most post offices in the world – With a massive population, comes the need to communicate. India boasts 155,015 post offices which are regularly used by locals.
Photo Credits: Flickr | Shoko Muraguchi
3. The Taj Mahal – No list about India is complete without mentioning the famous landmark. It was built in Agra between 1631 and 1648 by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, in memory of his late wife Empress Mumtaz Mahal. The landmark now sees between 6-8 million visitors per year.
Photo Credits: Flickr | Daniel Mennerich
4. The film industry. India is home to the world’s largest film industry, in 2017 alone 1,986 films were produced in India. The country also has a strong local film scene, producing films in many different regional languages. Bollywood, producing Hindi films, is the largest producing 364 films in 2017. Other significant regional film producers include; Kollywood (Tamil films – 304 in 2017), Tollywood (Telugu films – 294 in 2017) and Sandalwood (Kannada films – 220 in 2017).
5. Snakes and Ladders was invented in India. The popular children’s board game was first created in Ancient India (~2 AD). Originally called Moksha Patam, the game was used to teach children about good and bad deeds and the virtue of karma.
Photo Credits: Flickr | Leonard J Matthews
If we've whetted your appetite and you want to visit the wonderful country that is India, then check out our projects including our India Experience and India Women’s Empowerment in Kerala. You’ll get to visit amazing places in India and make a meaningful difference to the local community while you’re at it!