Emma decided on the Tenerife Whale and Dolphin Conservation to see first hand some of her favourite animals: Dolphins!
1. Why did you choose this particular project?
I decided to do the Whale and Dolphin Project as I have a love for dolphins and thought it would be a good experience.
2. What kind of work and activities did you do during your project?
During the project I went out on the whale watching boats 3 times. Whilst on the boats I took photos of the whales and dolphins and also completed a survey on their behaviour and reaction to the boats. I also took part in the fin ID,where we had to match our photos to the ones we already had of the known whales and dolphins.
3. How did the culture and people differ to home? What were the locals like?
As we was in Tenerife there was a lot of english people, I did not met anyone spanish apart from the captain and staff on the boat.
4. What was the accommodation like?
The accommodation was very nice. I shared a room with 3 other girls. Our house had a roof terrace, balcony and pool which was great.
5. What were the staff and other volunteers like?
Both staff members were friendly and very helpful. All the other girls that were volunteers were also nice and friendly. We had a mix of different backgrounds too.
6. What was the most amazing moment and what’s your best memory?
My most amazing moment was seeing the dolphins in their natural environment and them jumping out of the water and coming close to the boat.
7. Do you feel the work you were doing was worthwhile?
I felt the work we was doing was worthwhile as we were seeing how the whales and dolphins react to the boats, and this is important to know as the whale watching boats rely on the whales and dolphins to continue.
8. What sort of wildlife did you encounter?
I encountered both short finned pilot whales and bottle nosed dolphins
9. What were you hoping to learn while on project and have you achieved those goals?
I wanted to learn more about whales and dolphins and the protection of them. I did learn more about them on this project and would like to learn more.
10. Any tips and advice you might like to pass on to future volunteers?
I only done the project for one week, which I would say is not long enough as you only get to go on the boats 3 times and in the same location. It would have been great to have stayed longer and done more.
11. What do you have planned next?
I am planning to do the Thailand Zoo Assistant Project, as I love all animals and it looks very cool.
12. Anything else you would like to add?
I would recommend Frontier to my friends and family. They do a great range of projects, and all the staff involved are friendly and helpful.