Reflecting on My Time in Fiji - Frontier

17 Feb 2017 09:50 AM

Upon arrival into the land of Fiji, I had no idea what to expect and no idea what journey may lay before me, armed with only a few belongings and dive stuff, I ventured into the unknown.

After a long bus ride and a boat journey, I made it to the Island of Beqa, the beauty that lay before me on this island was unlike anything I had ever seen before. There were lush green forests, palm trees, crystal blue waters and beaches. I realised at the very moment I set foot on Beqa that I had fallen in love.

When I eventually made it up the path to get to camp, I was greeted by a pack of 9 dogs. I was surprised to see a Fijian man making his way towards the dogs. I later found out this man was Mala and he has played an integral part in my time at camp.

I just about managed to make it through my first night, mainly due to the fact that there were mosquitos everywhere. However, the next day it was time to go diving, probably my favourite activity in the whole wide world. The fish were beautiful colours and the corals were magnificent in their own right.

All of a sudden all the pieces seemed to fit together like a puzzle and at last, I was happy. As I sit here reflecting on my time here in Fiji, I realise that the long path I travelled to make it here was worth it, I am having the time of my life and never want to leave.

By James Kingshott - Frontier Volunteer | Fiji Marine Conservation

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservation, community, teaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!