Online Journalism Intern - Alistair Ross - Frontier

22 Oct 2016 12:20 PM

Being the son of free-spirited parents it was always going to be the case that I would grow up with a desire to travel and see the world. My travels have taken me far and wide, from the bustling souks of Marrakech and chaos of Times Square to the total bliss of Slovenia’s rolling countryside. At the age of 18 I volunteered in the small town of Thirukkovil, Sri Lanka – one of the places worst hit by the 2004 tsunami – and shortly after I visited Pinnawala elephant orphanage. Following these two experiences I have felt the need to help those in need, both people and wildlife.

Being a keen writer it has long been my dream to become a journalist, which would allow me to work and travel all at once, while also opening people’s eyes up to important issues and matters. Since graduating from the University of Kent with a degree in Politics and International Relations I have been lucky enough to join the Frontier team as an Online Journalism Intern, offering me the chance to blog about my interests for a fantastic global NGO.

I joined two and a half weeks ago and have settled straight in, which wasn’t hard with a team this friendly! On a day-to-day basis I regularly check and update our various social media accounts (yes, I’m the one posting cute animal pictures on Twitter), source competition prizes and guest bloggers, interview returning volunteers, and of course write articles for our own blog ‘Into The Wild’. As an intern I also travel out of the office on a semi-regular basis to help promote Frontier at events, which gives me the chance to see a bit more of the UK than I might otherwise. On that note, if you ever see Frontier at an event come and say hello, we’re a friendly bunch!

By Alistair Ross - Online Journalism Intern

Frontier runs terrestrial & marine conservation, community, teaching and adventure projects in over 50 countries - join us and explore the world!