James’s Top Tips To Prepare For Tenerife

14 Apr 2016 15:30 PM

This week-long project is by far one of the best things I have ever done. The feeling I got when I saw the dorsal fin of a whale rise from the ocean for the first time was indescribable, and one that I recommend everyone experience for themselves.

When travelling to any unfamiliar country, preparation is key; the importance of it should be any traveller’s primary concern. Frontier provide an abundance of valuable information in regards to preparing for your exhibition, and from personal experience I highly recommend referring to these documents carefully before the commencement of your trip! The main objective of this project is to collect data and take photos of various cetaceans for identification purposes, therefore one of the primary pieces of equipment you are encouraged to bring is a digital camera, as you will need your own camera in order to efficiently photograph the cetaceans. I, like many people I’m sure, do not own my own camera; therefore I borrowed a friend’s camera for the week. I would recommend doing something similar as it is a vital piece of equipment and by bringing one, as your phone just won’t do and it will ensure you have the best possible experience throughout your project.

You will be walking a lot during your time in Tenerife, as the accommodation is quite a distance from the harbour where you will be boarding the whale watching boats, therefore appropriate, comfortable footwear should be brought! On occasion you may have the opportunity to go to the beach after your time on a whale watching boat, therefore I recommend bringing sandals and a pair of walking shoes with you on your days out of the volunteer house.

During the days on the whale watching boats you will obviously not be back home until late afternoon or evening. And you will leave early in the morning, so you may be away from your possessions for up 8 hours. With this in mind, a durable bag or rucksack is another vital piece of equipment. I mistakenly did not bring a bag or rucksack with me, so on the first day on the whale watching boat I was carrying my possessions in a plastic supermarket bag, which was not ideal! Not only did this make my travels around the island a lot more difficult, there was also the risk that my items could have been damaged or misplaced when walking or on the boats. I bought a bag on my second day on the island however and this made my travels and experiences a lot more enjoyable. Also, learning a few basic Spanish words would help you greatly when conversing with the locals!

If you are thinking about applying for this project, all I have to say is go for it. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Personally I have learnt a vast amount of valuable information about cetaceans and the methods researchers use to study them, and I know you will to.

Frontier runs conservation, developmentteaching and adventure travel projects in over 50 countries worldwide - so join us and explore the world!

By James Boyd - Research Assistant | Frontier Tenerife Whale & Dolphin Conservation